' To ActionCam or NOT to ActionCam? | Adventures with FitNyx

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

To ActionCam or NOT to ActionCam?

Ahhhh the GoPro.  People can't seem to stop raving about this tiny little camcorder.  I never thought I'd do anything that would make such an investment worthwhile - but then again, I never thought I'd be a mud runner either.

Now that I've participated in four obstacle course/mud run events, and am considering a fifth before the year is out, I'm starting to wonder if an action cam might be a reasonable purchase.

One of my office mates brought a GoPro to the Epic Fail Challenge last Saturday, and we brought it on the course with us to give it a go.  I haven't yet seen the photos or videos, so I can't speak to the quality yet, but I loved that the little thing fit in my race belt and lasted the whole course.  I just still can't decide if it's worth hundreds of dollars to have one "just in case" I keep doing adventure racing.

So, like any smart poor kid, I've been keeping an eye on Woot.

For those of you who haven't heard of it, Woot is a daily-deal website that has achieved astonishing success.  They offer multiple item categories and always have great items available.  I missed a few GoPros and other action cam deals due to sellouts before I could pull the trigger, but thankfully Woot likes to offer grouped deal pages, and these often include cameras.  A quick visit to the site today proved fruitful, and after doing some research into product reviews, I finally purchased myself an action cam.

Look at all those goodies! (photo from Woot)

It's a Nabi Square HD Rugged 1080p Action Camera (that's a mouthful), and I snagged it for only $50!  Even if it's not the greatest quality in the world, that's a pretty great price.  It comes with all the trappings of any other action cam, and it has received quite a few five-star reviews.

But other reviews don't mean anything until the item has proven itself in my own hands!  So once I receive my new toy, you can be sure I'll be playing with it and then sharing my findings and thoughts with all you lovely readers!

Have an action cam you already use and love?  Ever tried a Nabi?  What'd you think?  Tell me in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment