' Blog Challenge Day 20: Fave Foods | Adventures with FitNyx

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Blog Challenge Day 20: Fave Foods

"Favorite" anything is a difficult call...  Likes and dislikes change so much over time, and even if you ask "what's your favorite right now" it's hard to pick!  Fortunately, I have a few favorites to share today, especially when the topic is FOOD.

Hamburgers

I've mentioned before that my husband makes the world's best burger.  We stay very simple: meat, cheese, bun, ketchup, sometimes avocado, and occasionally we'll get fancy (and fattening) by throwing some mac'n'cheese on it too.  There's something so heartwarming about biting into the delicious layers...  Bonus if it's just coming off the grill as I'm walking in from work!

Mac'n'cheese should probably be on this list too...

Banana Acai Smoothies

I count this as a food because I make them pretty thick...  And really we can count a lot of different kinds of smoothies in here (like the tropical mix my husband craves too) but I've chosen to highlight my current "absolute favorite", which originally came from a decision to stop into a Protein Bar location here in Chicago: the banana acai smoothie.  I've managed to replicate the mix at home, instead of having to pay $7 for a smoothie every time I get that craving, and it's become my go-to breakfast.

Sooooooo good!  Sooooo 'spensive!

McGriddles

Yup, I'm including McDonald's on this list.  Y'see, I worked there for over a decade, starting young and progressing into management.  I was practically raised on the stuff, and while I know "it's soooo unhealthy," that doesn't mean it can't be enjoyed in moderation.  I remember when the McGriddle came out, and people thought it was "so weird" and that it wouldn't last - but I thought it was DELICIOUS.  Long story short: I was right, and it's now a staple of the Golden Arches breakfast menu.  I don't indulge nearly as often as I used to, but some days I'll pass a Mickey D's in the morning and decide to treat myself with the gooey, cheesy, syrupy goodness.  I'm getting hungry just thinking about it...

C'mere, gorgeous.

Do I have other favorites?  Probably.  These were the ones that jumped out at me and made me actively hungry, so I figured that's probably good criteria for this list.  I could probably say pirogi or brownies or French toast or any number of other goodies, but... well, I guess I just DID say them!  And now I'm even more hungry.  I'm gonna go eat...

What about you?  When you've got the hunger, what do you grab?  Any life-long, dead-set favorites?



8 comments:

  1. Oh gosh, I love putting mac n cheese on my burgers (both vegan for me).

    I worked at McD's for a long time too, and was a shift manager and remember when those came out! My husband used to love them! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shift managers FTW - did you enjoy the job? I honestly had a great time (usually) on the floor despite the sometimes stressful environment, but I know that wasn't the norm. It all depends on the crew you build...

      Delete
  2. I have never put mac n cheese on a burger but I am making mac n cheese tonight and now I wanna try it, haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's divine. Unusual, but delicious. Let me know how it goes!

      Delete
  3. The banana acai smoothie sounds awesome! I keep wanting to make smoothies these days, but it's so cold that I always talk myself out of it. ;_;

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some days, you just gotta have it, temperature be damned! When it warms up, though, you should try one :)

      Delete
  4. I've never had a mcgriddle, but I love me some sweet and savory!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's basically like eating a pancake, egg, and sausage breakfast all together in every bit. The real key to what makes the McGriddle so amazing (versus my attempts to recreate this masterpiece at home) are the syrup nuggets. They have this amazing freezing process for the syrup that they then inject into the pancake buns, and when it heats up the syrup gets perfectly gooey - never runny, so you don't make a huge mess while eating, just gooey enough to get the right flavor and texture. Mmmmm, clearly I'm very passionate and into my McGriddle science.

      Delete