' So, today I did a thing... | Adventures with FitNyx

Thursday, March 24, 2016

So, today I did a thing...

Today, the Marine Corps Marathon opened their lottery system for entry into this year's marathon in October.  And I was one of the first to put my bid in at noon when registration opened!
Yes, I put my money where my mouth is and actually registered for my VERY FIRST FULL MARATHON.  Of course there's a chance I won't get in, but the first step to running a marathon is committing to it on your calendar.  I have a couple backup options if I don't get into MCM this year, but as of right now, the wheels are turning for marathon training to begin in earnest.  The Towpath Half Marathon in a couple weeks will be an early benchmark for my pacing and endurance; hopefully between April and October I will be able to stick to proper training and actually be prepared come time to tackle 26.2 in DC.


What this means for Adventures with FitNyx: Brace yourself, lots of marathon training posts are coming.  I'm hoping to document my running and cross training more thoroughly on paper, which will translate to more check-in posts about my actual training and what I'm sure will be many posts about the overall experience of training for a marathon.  I've also got a few nutrition and recovery products to try over the course of the next few months as I experiment with what will work best for me on race day, so you'll probably see some reviews too.  And I'm also hoping to have some guest blogs from some of my friends who are old pros at 26.2, sharing advice and experience from their journeys!  All in all, it's likely to be a very interesting year - and I'd be honored to have you join me for it!

What was your first marathon like?  Which did you run?  If you haven't yet, do you think you ever will, and which race would you choose for your first?  Any early advice for me?

1 comment:

  1. This is so exciting! Congrats on making the big decision, and I hope you get in!

    ReplyDelete