' Blueberry Muffins and a Kitchen Scale | Adventures with FitNyx

Thursday, January 28, 2016

Blueberry Muffins and a Kitchen Scale


In an effort to eat healthy (versus the atrocious diet I usually follow) I'm once again trying to make more smoothies and make more meals and snacks at home in my own kitchen, rather than relying on fast food and junky snacks.  I'm also considering starting to focus on portion control, but that's still something that intimidates me and feels like more work than I'm ready to handle just yet...  Either way, I thought it might be useful to have a kitchen scale around for accurate measuring.


Disclaimer: I received this product at a discounted price in exchange for my review.  All opinions herein are my own; I did not receive any additional compensation for my review.

The SmartWeigh digital scale is small, compact, lightweight, and easy to clean and store - which makes it perfect for my current bumming-a-room lifestyle!  I can pull it out when I need it, or tuck it away when not in use.  It also runs on battery power, so I don't even have to worry about finding an open outlet (which in this kitchen can sometimes be nigh impossible).  The detachable bowl is plastic and wipes down quickly after use, but it does seem a little flimsy and I'm a little worried it might snap if I drop it!  I'm sure it would be simple to substitute another container should that happen, though.


The buttons are simple and switching between different units of measure is fluid and simple.  The digital screen lights up, making the numbers stand out for easy reading.  I really liked using the scale for measuring portions of fruits for my smoothies - when I find that perfect combination, I love being able to recreate it precisely the next time!  I've also been using it for recipes, and I'd like to share one of my favorites today: blueberry muffins.  These light, fluffy muffins are made with sour cream, which makes them extra moist!  And if that doesn't sell you on them, let Shawn Spencer give it a try:



You'll Need:

268g and 32g all purpose flour (divided)                  1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder                                                  1/2 tsp table salt
1 large egg                                                                 189g and 61g sugar (divided)
165g reduced-fat sour cream                                     1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup fat-free skim milk (divided)                          2 cups blueberries
2 tbsp salted butter (melted)

Instructions:
  • Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Prepare muffin liners or baking cups.
  • In a large bowl, combine 268g flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.  Set aside.
  • Using an electric mixer, beat egg with 189g sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy.
  • Add sour cream to sugar and egg mixture, beat until thoroughly combined.
  • Blend in vanilla extract to sour cream mixture.
  • Add half of flour mixture and half of milk to sour cream mixture; beat until combined.
  • Add remaining flour mixture and milk; beat until smooth.
  • Fold in blueberries and fill each muffin liner or baking cup about 3/4 full.  Set aside.
  • To make streusel topping, combine remaining 32g flour and 61g sugar.  Pour in melted butter and combine with fingertips.  Divide crumb mixture over muffins; gently press into top of batter with fingertips.
  • Bake until slightly golden brown, about 30 to 35 minutes.
  • Cool in pan for about 10 minutes then transfer onto cooling racks.

Deeeeeeeeelicious!  Especially that crumbly streusel topping.  And really, if you're not a blueberry fan, you can substitute your favorite berry in the recipe instead!  Or maybe even chocolate chips...

Do you use a kitchen scale for portioning?  How about for recipes?  Or smoothies?  What's your favorite or your go-to recipe when you get the itch to bake?

1 comment:

  1. (Krystal) I have never used a kitchen scale but I can see that it would be helpful in recipes like you mentioned!

    ReplyDelete