' 2016 Year In Review: Racing | Adventures with FitNyx

Monday, December 26, 2016

2016 Year In Review: Racing

The past couple years have seen a lot of changes in my life, but 2016 actually brought me at least a little stability.  Though I'm still looking for a place to live, I DID find a fabulous job (as a race manager, of all things!) and am establishing myself in my hometown of Cleveland in a way I never expected.  My weekends are FULL of racing now, and while that's usually because I'm managing or timing races for others to run, that hasn't kept me from getting my own mileage in over the course of the year.  In fact, this year's mileage is higher than my past two years combined!  Not only did I run more raw mileage than ever before, but I also crushed my old PRs at every distance I attempted in 2016.  Oh, there's also that little "ran my first marathon" thing tucked in there too...  Check out this year's racing stats review below!



Total mileage: 450.51 miles

Month with the most mileage: September (100.17 miles)

Month with the least mileage: January (4.11 miles)


 Longest run: 27.89 miles

Total number of races completed: 14

Number of 5k races completed: 3

5k PR time: 25:38 (Eagles on Foot)


Number of half marathons completed: 9

Half PR time: 2:03:20 (Towpath Marathon Half)

Number of full marathons completed: 1

Full PR time: 5:56:35 (Marine Corps Marathon)

Oddball distance races completed: 1 (10M)

10 Mile PR time: 1:37:47 (Towpath 10-10)


Favorite race this year: Towpath Marathon Half.  I'm always a sucker for Towpath races, and when you throw in a hefty PR (only a month after a previously-hefty PR) and the perfect day, this race has it pretty much locked up.  Beautiful trail (even if it's a little monotone after a while), great people, cool swag, tons of friends...  I really couldn't ask for more out of a race.  This might end up being the all-time favorite, but it's early to make THAT big of a claim!


Least favorite race this year: Santa Hustle Cedar Point Half Marathon.  Good Lord was this race miserable.  I ran with a friend and if it hadn't been for that, I probably wouldn't even have gone.  The awful wind, bitter cold, and unrelenting snow coupled with an intensely boring course to make this 13 mile slog the only real blemish on an otherwise great year.  We made the most of it and found ways to keep ourselves smiling as much as possible, but I've never been so thrilled to be done with a race before in my life.  Even the miserable parts of the marathon weren't as bad as this.

Accomplishment of which I am most proud: Most people would probably say "finishing a marathon" here, but honestly?  I'm more proud of the fact that I trained for the marathon and actually stuck to my plan.  Some people told me they didn't think I'd ever make it - but I put my mind to it and followed through.


Primary goal for next year: My 2016 was the Year of the Marathon - and now that I've "been there, done that", I think I'm over this long distance thing.  I love my half marathons and will continue my long-term goal of running a half in all 50 states, but for 2017 I'm going to turn my focus to speedwork.  My 5k PR has come down quite a bit, but I'd like to get into the 24 minute range, with a stretch goal to finish a 5k in under 24 minutes.  Additionally, I'd like to bring my "official" half marathon time under 2 hours, with a stretch goal of hitting 1:50.  These seem like lofty goals right now, but I have a plan and hopefully I'll stick to it as much as I (surprisingly) stuck to my marathon plan!

How did 2016 treat YOUR fitness lifestyle?  What were some of your favorite races or running accomplishments?  What are you looking forward to in 2017?  Any big goals?

No comments:

Post a Comment