' November Blog Challenge Day 17: Meaning Behind My Blog Name | Adventures with FitNyx

Monday, November 17, 2014

November Blog Challenge Day 17: Meaning Behind My Blog Name

This is an easy one!  My middle name is Nyx - that's for real, my parents chose it when I was born, and I think learning about my namesake helped drive my education and interests for a long time.  Nyx is a Greek goddess (Nox in Roman mythology) who is typically considered a minor character.  There's not much mention of her throughout mainstream Greek mythology, but Hesiod's Theogony devotes more than an entire page to Nyx.  She was the daughter of Khaos (we all know this one) and Phanes, first king of the universe, and she was the first to inherit the title before it passed down through Ouranos, Kronos, and finally to Zeus.

Nyx means "night", and she was definitely a goddess shrouded in shadow and mystery, which led to a strong cult following back in those old Grecian times.  Her worship was never truly mainstream, but she was widely acknowledged as the mother of a host of spirits that included the Fates and the Hesperides, along with at least a dozen others like Dreams, Envy, Love, Friendship, Fear, and Misery.  She was pretty much all over the board with her children...

I can totally see the resemblance.

Upon learning about the goddess, I started a lifelong pursuit of mythological knowledge, which turned into collegiate and post-collegiate degrees in religion and religious art - and it all started with just a name!

I chose to incorporate the name into my blog because it represents my soul better than any other title could: a complex mix of emotions and facets that come together to make a legendary figure!  Plus, the wordplay of FitNyx vs fitness was just too good to miss!

The "Adventures" part should be pretty self-explanatory: I like to have adventures!  The added advantage to using Adventures with FitNyx?  I haven't branded myself into a corner, and can freely move about in the realm of general fitness or even general life without feeling like I am breaking my brand.  The flexibility and freedom are pleasant comforts when sitting down to write.

6 comments:

  1. That is so cool. How did your parents find out about Nyx? What a cool story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The details of how my parents found out about her are a little unclear... According to my mom, they knew full well who she was and made the conscious choice to pick something with that background - but how they learned about her, I do not know.

      My first name was almost "Zuzu" (the nickname for little Susie in It's A Wonderful Life) but apparently that got nixed (heh) at the last minute. Probably for the best. Amanda Nyx works - Zuzu Nyx would have been a little much.

      Delete
  2. That's such an awesome background story! :D I never would've guessed that. My middle name is the Englishized version of my Chinese name (with random extra letters that don't make sense) that no one ever gets right, so I just went with a nickname. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's your Chinese name? I actually speak a little Mandarin, maybe I could get it right for you :x

      Delete
  3. Man, I love that kind of pursuit of knowledge: Unbridled and it sounds like it lead you down so many different paths! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it definitely did! I learned so many amazing things - and there's still so much more to study! Who would have thought one's name could shape their entire life?

      Delete