' Global Running Day: A Look Into My Miles | Adventures with FitNyx

Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Global Running Day: A Look Into My Miles

Today is Global Running Day!  I'm joining other runners and bloggers for a unique linkup today that looks at how running has worked its way into my life and how I build on my running hobby.  Check out the interview below, but also be sure to visit the Running Day page and pledge some miles for yourself!  And of course, visit our linkup host Jonesin' For A Run to see interviews with other bloggers!


Why do you run?

Honestly, I started running to literally run away from my problems.  The first time I ever laced up my shoes and hit the pavement on a whim was the morning after my husband cheated on me.  I didn't know what else to do, so I ran.  The anger and hurt fueled my running for a few months, but then I caught "the bug".  Maybe it was the excitement of my first couple races, which included a zombie run, a trail race, and a color run, or maybe it was because the activity was making me feel so much more positive and alive during a tough time, but I stuck with it and the desire to keep my feet moving grew.  Now I run because I love it, for all the many wonderful things running has brought into my life.


How do you plan to celebrate Global Running Day?

Uh, by running, DUH!  The local Fleet Feet stores (which partner with my racing company) are hosting an "All 4 Run" event in downtown Cleveland, and I intend to be there with them!

How many miles have you run so far this year? Do you have a mileage goal for 2016?

After a quick run last night, I am at 113 miles for the year - which means I will BLOW AWAY any previous year!  I don't set mileage goals because my life and schedule are so unpredictable, but with marathon training (and my first marathon) coming up, I have the feeling I'll be doubling my mileage quickly, if not tripling!


What big events do you have on the race calendar so far this year?

Well there's that marathon thing...  Marine Corps will be my first full, so I guess that's pretty big!  I'm also about to hit my third half of the year in a few days, which will actually be my third half in 90 days, qualifying me for the Half Fanatics, which seems pretty big too!

Before I leave for a run I must have...

My GPS going, my favorite running belt hooked up, and either some awesome tunes (if I'm running by myself) or my puppy!  She's doing better and better on the runs (except for the super hot days, when we take it easy) and she's always excited to be out there with me!


Do you track your runs? If so, what do you use?

I use Map My Run and am never without it!  I'm constantly trying to improve, and monitoring progress is a big deal.  Setbacks aren't really as devastating as I thought they'd be - there's usually a good reason for a run to be much slower than usual, and now that I'm combining my Map My Run info with a JournalMenu for more prolific notes, keeping track of all the factors that went into even a bad run shows me more room for opportunity.

Who is your favorite running partner?

That's easy: my puppy!

What races have you run so far this year?

So far I've run three 5k races and two half marathons - and I've hit a PR at each distance!  The Arnold 5k, in conjunction with the Arnold Sports Festival, kicked off my year and my solid time set me up for that 5k PR at the Eagles on Foot race a little closer to home.  This past weekend I ran a much slower (and MUCH hotter) race at May in Bay, but still enjoyed the run and learned a little about running in the heat.  My first half this year was on the Towpath in a random snowpocalypse, and the weather didn't get much better for the Cleveland Rite Aid half, but even in every kind of nasty weather imaginable, I still pulled in a PR.  It may only have been by a hair, but it still counts, and makes me wonder what I could have done in better conditions!


If you have to give someone one piece of advice about running, what would it be?

Start today, and don't give up tomorrow.  I always HATED running - before I started doing it.  Every time I have another great run, I kick myself for not having started earlier.  Don't make excuses.  Lacing up and pounding pavement is incredible, and you'll never know until you try.  There will be bad days too, and it might be really hard in the beginning, but the changes running can make in your life and for your health and wellness are worth every struggling step.

Describe your relationship with running in one word.

CAREER.  Since my first run, my love of the sport, and maybe more specifically my love of the industry of running, has shaped my past few years.  I've found so much love in running that I've taken every step possible to make a career for myself in the running world, and here I am working as a race manager, spending every day of my life interacting with runners and racing.  It's amazing and I wouldn't trade it for anything!


Alright, I spilled my beans, what about you??  Answer any of the questions above in the comments, and be sure to tell me how YOU plan to celebrate Global Running Day!

8 comments:

  1. Race Manager sounds like an AWESOME job!!!! So exciting that you are running your first marathon! I did my first a few years ago and now I am headed back to the same race for the 2nd time!! Training is the best part- enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's basically the best job in the world, but I *might* be biased. What marathon did you run as your first?

      Delete
  2. What is "half fanatics?" I've seen shirts before but I didn't know it was a "thing" if you know what I mean. Have fun training for your first marathon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Half Fanatics and Marathon Maniacs are groups that require qualification to be eligible, then you join and pay dues and you get... I don't know what you get. No one seems to have anything to say other than "great community". So I don't know if it's worth actually joining, but it's nice to know I hit a qualifier if I ever WANT to join!

      Delete
  3. I'm 100% a cat person, but I do wish I had a dog sometimes when I'm running! And in response to your comment above about the HF, the discount codes will pay for your dues in no time! We've saved a ton of money on marathons using them. (And it's also fun to have MMs and HFs cheer for you when you're wearing your shirt!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't think I've heard about discount codes, VERY good to know! That makes me MUCH more likely to actually pull the trigger. HF eligible as long as I don't DNF on Sunday!

      Delete
  4. You are so lucky to have not only fallen in love with running but to have made it your career!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you want something bad enough and you work for it hard enough...

      Delete